What to Bring to the Hospital For Labor and Delivery
Giving birth is an exciting but often overwhelming experience. Prepare for the big day with our guide of what to bring to the hospital for labor and delivery.
- Health Insurance Card – Bring your health care card and fill out any admission forms prior to the delivery date.
- Comfortable Clothing – Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing so you feel as relaxed as possible. Consider practical items such as a nursing bra, a robe for after delivery, and loose-fit cotton underwear.
- Toiletries – You will want to keep yourself looking and feeling good while you are at the hospital. Pack items such as shampoo, body wash, a toothbrush, deodorant and a hairbrush.
- Cell Phone and Charger – Bring your phone and charger to keep in contact with family and friends.
- Necessary Medication – Bring any necessary prescriptions and over-the-counter medications.
- Camera – Don’t forget to bring your camera to take photos of your new little one.
- Money – Bring extra cash, change and credit cards for snacks from the cafeteria, parking, and any other items you might need while you are there.
- Music Player – Bring a portable music player and speakers to help you relax during labor.
- Snacks and Beverages – Don’t forget the snacks and drinks. Consider bringing items such as trail mix, juice, Gatorade, and other items to keep you hydrated and nourished during labor.
- Change For Vending Machines – Bring some small bills and change for vending machines if you get hungry in the middle of the night.
- Favorite Pillow – Bring your favorite pillow from home for positioning and comfort.
- Birth Plan – Bring a written birth plan to ensure the hospital staff follow your wishes.
Being prepared for labor and delivery can help put your mind at ease and make your experience much more enjoyable. Make sure to bring the essentials and any other items that may make you comfortable. Good luck and congratulations on your new bundle of joy!