What is a Perineal Massage?
A perineal massage is a special type of massage of the tissue in the area around the vagina. It is believed to reduce the chances of tearing during childbirth, improve the elasticity of the tissues in the area, and promote healing of any tears that may occur from childbirth.
When is a Perineal Massage Done?
Perineal massages are generally done during the last few weeks of pregnancy. However, some women choose to receive them earlier. During pregnancy, the massage can be done either on its own or as part of a labor and delivery preparation class, along with other activities such as breathing exercises, Pelvic Floor exercises, and other pain-management techniques.
Benefits of a Perineal Massage
There are many potential benefits to having a perineal massage:
- Reduces the chances of tearing during childbirth: This is Because the perineal massage helps to soften the
tissues in the area, which in turn makes pushing during labor easier and reduces the chances of tearing.
- Reduces the discomfort related to childbirth: Perineal massage improves the elasticity and flexibility of the tissues, which can make pushing during childbirth more comfortable.
- Promotes healing of any tears that may occur during childbirth: Perineal massage is believed to help encourage the healing process for any tears that may happen during childbirth by improving the circulation of blood to the area.
How to Perform Perineal Massage
Perineal massage is relatively simple and can be done either Unassisted or with the help of a trained professional.
- Unassisted: You can do a perineal massage yourself or with the help of your partner. To do the massage, you need to first warm up the perineal area with warm, damp towels. Afterward, you need to apply a water-based lubricant to your fingers and slowly massage the area in a circular motion.
- With the Help of a Professional: You can also have a trained professional do the massage for you. This is typically done by a midwife, obstetrician, or a physiotherapist.
Perineal massage is a special type of massage of the area around the vagina, which is believed to reduce the chances of tearing during childbirth, reduce the discomfort related to childbirth, and promote healing of any tears that may occur. It can be done either unassisted or with the help of a trained professional.