Understanding your newborn’s feeding and sleeping patterns
Understanding your newborn’s feeding and sleeping patterns is essential for both your baby and your peace of mind. As they grow, babies’ needs and behaviours change, and you need to know what to expect in order to feel confident in giving them the right care.
Here are some tips to help you understand your newborn’s feeding and sleeping patterns:
- Know when to switch sides: When breastfeeding, switch sides halfway through the feeding in order to make sure that the baby feeds from both breasts evenly.
- Watch for signs of hunger: Your baby will signal hunger by sticking out their tongue, making sucking motions and rooting. Give them the opportunity to feed when they show signs of hunger.
- Create a comfortable sleeping environment: Babies need a comfortable sleeping environment with little to no noise, light and distractions.
- Put them to sleep on their backs: Newborns should always be put to sleep on their back to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
- Keep them warm: Make sure the baby’s head and hands are covered with lightweight blankets to keep them warm.
- Swaddle them: Swaddling can help the baby feel secure and comfortable while they sleep.
By following these tips, you can help your newborn develop healthy eating and sleeping patterns. It is important to remember that every baby is different and that as they grow, their needs and behaviours change. Be patient and keep an eye on them as they grow, and provide them with the love and care they need.