The Truth About Baby Gear: What You Really Need
The world of baby gear can be overwhelming – but it doesn’t have to be. Knowing what you really need can help make the process of getting ready for baby much easier.
When you are getting ready for a new baby, there are several basics you will need:
- Car seat: Most babies will need a car seat for daily travel. Infant-only car seats can be used for babies up to 1 year old, and then a convertible car seat can take them from 1-4 years old.
- Crib: Most infants sleep in a crib or bassinet until they are ready to move into a toddler bed. Look for a crib that meets the standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Diapers: Disposable or cloth, diapers are a must-have for any baby. Have several packages of newborn-sized diapers on hand before baby arrives.
- Baby monitor: If you’re worried about checking on your baby while they sleep, a baby monitor can give you some peace of mind. Look for one that has two-way audio, so you can hear and speak to your baby from another room.
- Stroller: You’ll want a good stroller for getting around with your baby. Look for something that is lightweight and easy to fold.
In addition to the basics, there are other items that you may want to invest in. These items can help make parenting easier and more enjoyable:
- High chair: A high chair is a must-have for any family with a baby, as it makes feeding time much easier. Look for one that is easy to clean and is adjustable for growing babies.
- Playard/travel crib: A playard or travel crib is a great option for when you will be away from your home for extended periods of time. Look for one that is lightweight and easy to set up.
- Baby carrier: A baby carrier, such as a wrap or sling, is a great way to keep your baby close while allowing you to be hands-free.
- Bouncer/rocker: A bouncer or rocker is a great way to soothe a baby and provide a safe spot for them to sit or play.
The Bottom Line
When it comes to baby gear, the key is to find what works best for you and your family. There are many types of gear out there, so do your research and choose the items that will make your parenting experience easier and more enjoyable.