The Dos and Don’ts of Newborn Care
Newborns require a lot of care to ensure their overall development and wellbeing. Here are some tips on what to do when caring for a newborn.
- Monitor their diet. Make sure that your newborn is getting enough breastfeeding or formula during the newborn period. Feed them consistently to help them establish a cycle and nutritional needs.
- Keep them warm. Make sure your newborn is dressed in layers appropriate for the weather and make sure to keep them warm with a blanket or a sweater.
- Maintain their hygiene. Make sure to bath your newborn at least once a week or as advised by your doctor. Be sure to clean their umbilical cord carefully and regularly.
- Take them to regular check-ups. Be sure to keep your newborn’s doctor’s appointments to monitor their overall health.
- Build trust. Spend time with your newborn, holding and talking to them to help establish a bond of trust.
- Do not overfeed. Do not feed your newborn more than what is recommended by your doctor, as this can lead to colic and other issues.
- Do not overheat. Do not dress your newborn too warm, as this can risk overheating and discomfort.
- Do not go for too long without a check-up. Do not go for more than a month without taking your newborn for check-ups, as this can put their overall health at risk.
- Do not leave them unattended. Do not leave your newborn alone, as they can not care for themselves and could be at risk of harm or injury.
- Do not overstimulate. Do not overstimulate your newborn with too much sound, light or activity, as this can be overwhelming and stressful.
By following the tips above, you can ensure that your newborn is safe and healthy. Seek medical help if you have any doubts or insecurities about the health of your newborn.