The Benefits of Tummy Time for Baby’s Development
Tummy time is an important part of a baby’s development and can provide lots of benefits that are important to your baby’s overall growth. Studies have shown that infants who engage in regular tummy time build strength and coordination, as well as improve their cognitive and social development.
What is Tummy Time?
Tummy time is when a young baby is placed on their stomach. This is typically done while supervised, as it helps them to build strength in their neck, back, and arm muscles. It also encourages them to learn how to roll over, push up and eventually crawl.
Benefits of Tummy Time
There are a number of benefits associated with tummy time for babies that are important for their development.
- Brain Development: Tummy time encourages babies to use their senses to explore their environment, which can help in brain development. This helps them to identify colors, shapes and patterns.
- Physical Development: Tummy time helps babies to develop the muscles in their neck, back, arms and legs. It also assists with the development of fine and gross motor skills such as rolling over, pushing up and crawling.
- Social Development: Tummy time is also a great way to interact with your baby and it’s a great way to bond with them. It encourages them to initiate conversation and to interact with other people in their environment.
Tips for Doing Tummy Time
Here are a few tips for getting the most benefit out of tummy time.
- Lay your baby down on their stomach and stay close by them. Talk to them in a happy and encouraging way and point out interesting things in the room.
- Play games with them such as hide and seek. Hold a toy up and let them reach for it, or shake rattles in front of them.
- If your baby starts to cry, it’s okay to take a break. They may need a few minutes to adjust to being on their stomach.
- Don’t worry if your baby isn’t yet rolling over or pushing up. Some babies take longer to reach these milestones than others. Just keep up with the tummy time and they will get there.
Tummy time is an important activity for a baby’s development. It encourages physical and cognitive development, as well as social interaction. Make sure to find time for tummy time every day, and your baby will reap the benefits of this activity!