The Benefits of Acupuncture during Pregnancy
Pregnancy is an exciting and delicate period of life and many women turn to acupuncture to help support their health during that period. Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese medicinal practice that involves the insertion of thin needles into specific points to improve wellbeing and relieve pain. As an all-natural and holistic remedy, acupuncture has many potential benefits for pregnant women and their children.
Physical Benefits for Pregnant Women
Acupuncture is used to treat a wide range of physical issues, many of which often plague pregnant women. According to studies, acupuncture can:
- Reduce stress, fatigue and nausea: Acupuncture often causes a decrease in stress and helps pregnant women feel more rested and energized throughout the day. It is also thought to help reduce nausea.
- Ease back and joint pain: Many women experience some level of back or joint pain during pregnancy, especially during the second and third trimesters. Acupuncture can reduce discomfort and alleviate this pain.
- Influence labor: Besides pain relief, acupuncture is believed to have an influence on qualitatively better labor. Acupuncture can help reduce the duration of labor and improve the health of the newborn.
Pre-birth Benefits for Babies
Acupuncture can also improve pre-birth conditions and the health of newborns. Studies have shown that regular acupuncture treatments of pregnant women can:
- Reduce the risk of complications: Acupuncture can help prevent or reduce the severity of pre-birth complications such as preeclampsia, intrauterine growth retardation, and preterm birth.
- Increase birth weight: It has been found that acupuncture treatments can increase the birth weight of babies and also improve the health of the placenta.
- Improve newborn behavior: Newborn babies whose mothers had acupuncture during their pregnancy have been found to have more active babies with better behavioral control, compared to newborns whose mothers did not receive any acupuncture.
Acupuncture is a safe and natural therapy that has been used for centuries to treat a variety of physical and psychological ailments. During pregnancy, it can help alleviate a number of physical and emotional issues and also positively influence the health of the baby. It is therefore recommended that pregnant women seek out acupuncture treatments with a qualified practitioner to reap its many potential benefits.