The Benefits of a Bedtime Routine
Getting a good night’s sleep is important for your physical and mental health. If you’re having trouble sleeping, or want to try and improve your sleep quality, developing a bedtime routine may help.
How Does It Help?
Establishing a regular bedtime routine helps you to stay consistent with your sleep. This can help you to not only sleep better, but also to wake up feeling more refreshed.
Having a regular nighttime routine can:
- Reduce stress – a relaxing activity before bed can help you to relax and unwind.
- Combat insomnia – a bedtime routine helps to move your body into the habit of sleeping.
- Prevent distractions – completing certain tasks or activities before bed can help minimise distractions during the night.
- Increase alertness – being consistent with a bedtime routine will help your body get used to sleeping and waking up at specific times, making you feel more alert during the day.
Tips for Creating a Bedtime Routine
Creating a bedtime routine is all about finding activities that work for you. Here are some ideas:
- Create a calming atmosphere – this could include turning off your phone and screens, dimming the lights and lighting a candle or essential oil.
- Do some light exercise – activities like stretching, going for a walk or doing some yoga can help prepare your body for sleep.
- Create a sleepytime ritual – this could be reading a book, writing in a journal or practising mindfulness.
- Try some breathing exercises – breathing can help you to slow down, relax and prepare for sleep.
Creating a bedtime routine can be a great way to help improve your sleep quality. Find activities that work for you and try to make them part of your nightly routine.